Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I made soup!

I am really sick and it's totally draining me. And during class, I couldn't help but think that if I was home my mom would make a big pot of chicken soup to make me feel better. Then I snapped out of my headache induced hallucination. Now, I'm not much of a cook. And I've been extremely reluctant to use my Italian kitchen (it's old, it's small, and I have to translate my grocery list before I go to the super market). But I couldn't help but find myself day dreaming about my mom's chicken soup. So on my way home from class, I stopped at my favorite pizza place (run by an Asian family...) and picked up a rather tasty rotisserie chicken for under 5 euro. I found a basic chicken stock recipe online and kinda improvised from there.

Sick As a Dog Soup

1 small rotisserie chicken
1 small red onion
2 celery stalks, leaves included
2 carrots

Wash your hands, damn it, you're sick. Pick the chicken clean, keeping some meat and skin on the carcass (oh, thats a tasty word) and put it in a large pot. Put the chicken pieces aside for later.

Cut carrot, celery, and onion into large pieces, add to pot.

Add enough water to the pot to cover everything and then some. I dunno... guesstimate.

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let everything simmer for about an hour and a half. Feel free to add salt and spices. I threw in most of the seasonings I had in the pantry. Garlic, thyme, pepper flakes, black pepper and salt.

Allow your kitchen to take on a wonderful homey aroma. Allow your roommates to compliment you freely. Don't let on that you have no idea what you're doing.

After about 90 minutes, strain the broth into another pot. You may have to use to 2 if all your other pots are substantially smaller than the original pot.

I let the broth sit for a while, but that was because I was feeling a trifle woozy and decided to lie down and watch Amelie. This is not necessary.

If you let the broth cool, heat it up again. Add the chicken and whatever vegetables you want. I added carrots, celery, onions and corn. The only veggies I had. Taste the broth, add whatever spices you think you need.

Cook noodles separately. I used twisty whole grain extra fiber ones. Can never have enough fiber...

Stir soup occasionally and check tenderness (and sympathy.. ooh bad Jekyll and Hyde joke) of the veggies. I dont like mushy veggies.

When you feel like the soup is done, pour it over noodles and enjoy!

Taken with photobooth because I don't have a digi camera.

1 comments:

jacqueline eve said...

Sounds like the most delicious soup ever.

Cook something else now! I loooove having a kitchen and experimenting...the Internet has an endless supply of recipes.

Love you!